If your baby is having trouble sleeping we’ve got an idea which might seem crazy to new parents, but will do the trick. It is known that putting the baby to bed in a burrito-style wrap also known as swaddling makes them feel secure, like being back in their mom’s warm and comfy belly. It is an ancient trick of wrapping newborns in a thin blanket or cloth which serves the all-important purpose of helping your sweet pea stay calm and sleep more soundly and longer .
Benefits of Swaddling
- A swaddle will help your baby feel safe and secure as they adjust to life outside the womb.
- It helps prevent them from flailing their arms and legs, which triggers their startle reflex and potentially causes them to wake up.
- It not just keeps the baby cozy and warm but also helps in maintaining their internal thermostat.
- It soothes babies with colic.
- Most importantly, it benefits parents too because when the baby sleeps more, mom and dad sleep more!
- Swaddling keeps their hands off their face and helps prevent scratching because newborns have the tendency to frequently scratch their face.
How to Swaddle like a pro, Step by Step
In order to perfectly swaddle your baby to make them sleep longer and more soundly, here are few steps to get your swaddling skills up the notch:
Step 1: Find a flat surface.
Spread your baby’s swaddle wrap in the shape of a diamond with one corner pointing up on a flat surface (like the middle of your bed). Baby’s head should be above the folded edge of the blanket, and her body should extend straight down toward the bottom corner.
Step 2: Straighten your baby’s right arm.
Take the left side of the blanket and wrap it over her left arm and chest. Tuck the blanket underneath them covering your baby’s left arm but the right arm will be free. It should be snug, but not overly tight.
Step 3: Bring up the bottom.
Fold the bottom corner of the blanket up over your baby’s body and tuck it under the first fold. It’s time to straighten your baby’s right arm too and pull the right side of the blanket over your baby’s body and tuck it on the left side. Now take the bottom corner and tuck that corner behind their right shoulder.
Step 4: Secure the blanket.
Lightly twist the bottom of the blanket and tuck it underneath your baby. Double-check to make sure the swaddle is nice and secure but also not over-tight.
For more detailed process - check the link below
Is Swaddling safe?
It’s true that swaddling isn’t entirely risk-free but it is proven that it can encourage your newborn to sleep better as long as it’s done correctly and practiced considering safe sleeping guidelines.
Swaddle blankets need not to be too loose, that can get unwrapped during sleep and could cover a baby’s face creating potential for suffocation or too snug, especially around your baby’s hips.
To encourage healthy hip development, the bottom of the swaddle should be loose enough for your baby’s legs to move naturally. Swaddling your baby the right way will encourage them to sleep more soundly which will also give you peace of mind. Here are few important swaddling safety tips:
- Make sure you are able to fit two to three fingers between the blanket and your baby’s chest. Also, the bottom of the swaddle should be loose enough so the baby can spread their legs naturally.
- The safest position to make your baby sleep is on their back, whether you’re swaddling or not. Don’t forget to tuck the bottom of the blanket underneath your baby.
- If tucking your little one into a burrito blanket for hours overnight makes you nervous, remember that as long as you stick with safe swaddling and sleep guidelines, your baby will sleep more soundly.
Few Swaddle wrap suggestions
SuperBottoms 100% Cotton Mulmul Swaddle-
- Made with the highest quality Mulmul, SuperBottoms Mulmul Swaddles offer the best comfort for babies while also being efficient in helping your baby sleep a lot more comfortably.
- Can be used in so many other ways like scarf, blanket for baby, bath towel for baby.
- Available in super adorable traditional prints.
Haus & kinder Muslin Cotton Swaddle Wrap-
- Gentle, breathable 100% Cotton Muslin. It gets softer after every wash.
- 3 in 1 use as a Swaddle/ Nursing Cover/ Stroller Cover Blanket and also as WashCloth or Burp Cloth or Wipes.
- Non shrinking, Color fade resistant, very durable, high absorbency and quick drying with all these features it is safe for newborn skin.
MOM'S HOME Organic Cotton Baby Muslin Swaddle
- It is lightweight, perfectly sized swaddle is generously sized 100 x 100 cm which is perfect for 0-18 months.
- It can serve multiple uses - apart from swaddle it can be used as baby wash cloth, burp cloth, stroller cover, play mat , nursing cover for on the go feedings.
- made from premium organic cotton muslin which is free from harmful colour chemicals, it is prewashed, ultra soft and gets softer with every wash.