To see a change in the growth chart of their baby, parents need to be on top of their game. It is common to realise that your toddler is eating well, but not gaining too much weight. However, this is not a cause for concern as some children have a high metabolic rate and burn calories faster. To sustain a healthy lifestyle it is important to supplement their diet with food rich in vitamins and minerals.
It is common for toddlers to get increasingly fussy with their diet as they get independent in their ways and parents will often find themselves dealing with picky eaters as they want a variety in their diet. So it is important that the food served to toddlers is catered to their developing taste buds while providing them with the necessary nutrients to stay active and achieve a healthy growth rate.
Here are a few tips that include different kinds of nutrient-rich food to your toddler’s diet to ensure that they remain healthy.
Food options to Increase Weight in kids
- Breast Milk- Until the age of six months, and even a year breast milk is the best food for a baby. It provides maximum nutrition and helps in gaining weight and building a healthy life. Especially for your child’s immunity this is the most nutritious, easily digestible, perfectly balanced, and healthiest superfood.
- Ragi- Rich in dietary fiber, protein and Vitamins B1, B2 and B6, Ragi is a traditional baby food that’s quite popular in South India. It is also one of the best weight gaining foods for babies. You can incorporate ragi in your baby's diet like ragi porridge, dosa, idli, and kheer.
- Bananas- They are an excellent source of natural energy, providing 100+ calories. Bananas are high in carbohydrates, potassium, dietary fiber, and Vitamins C. You can mash bananas or serve them in a smoothie or shake. Steamed Kerala bananas can be mashed and fed to babies for great results.
- Desi Ghee- Ghee promotes brain development in kids and is also anti inflammatory and good for a strong immune system. Just a few drops of ghee can be added to porridge or sprinkled on top of mashed khichadi or daal soup but it is important to remember to use ghee in moderation as consuming it in excess can upset the baby’s tummy.
- Sweet Potatoes- They are tasty, nutritious, easy to digest, healthy and are easy to boil and mash and most importantly, are also loaded with dietary fibre. You can make tasty purees and soups from this vegetable.
Recipe for sweet potatoes- Sweet Potato Recipes for baby | Healthy weight gain recipes for baby | Baby food recipes 6M+ to 2Y+
- Eggs- You can start giving egg yolks to your baby when they are 10 months old. They are little powerhouses for nutrition. They are rich in saturated fats, proteins, vitamins, and minerals. It can be served in the form of several tasty dishes like omelettes, scrambled eggs, and boiled eggs.
Recipe for eggs for kids- Easy Egg Recipes for 1+ Year Babies, Toddlers, Kids | Easy & Healthy Egg Recipes for Kids Indian
- Dry fruits and seeds- Almonds, pistachio, fig, cashew are energy dense and non-fattening. You can powder them and add to your child’s milk or sprinkle the powder on top of cereal or can simply give them a handful of nuts and seeds to eat.
Recipe for dry fruit powder- Healthy NUTS POWDER with 8 RECIPES ( for 1+ toddlers & kids ) - weightgain recipe for kids
- Paneer - It is quite popular in Indian households and can be given to babies after 8 months. You can even make paneer at home with whole milk. Chop them into bite-size pieces and offer them as finger food to your child. It can also be added to parathas as a filling or in curries with rice, to sandwiches, chapatis or pasta and make a wonderful combination of taste and nutrition.
Recipes for paneer- 5 Paneer Recipes for Babies
- Lean Meats- The high protein content aids growth and development, and the magnesium, phosphorus Vitamin B6 and B12 help in growing strong teeth and bones. It's best to start with boneless pieces like chicken breast boiled and fed as chicken puree, chicken soup or chicken with rice.
Recipes for chicken curry- बच्चों के लिए चिकन रेसिपी | Basic Chicken Recipe For Kids
- Pulses- They are packed with protein, magnesium, calcium, iron, fibre and potassium. You can introduce dal to your baby after 6 months in the form of soup or daal ka paani. You can also feed your kid mashed khichadi as it’s a perfect blend of pulses, rice and ghee.
Recipe for daal soup- Homemade Baby Food Recipe | Vegetable Dal Soup for Babies, Toddlers & Family